Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Simple.

WARNING: long, possibly boring & quite cheesy post but I want to look back one day & remember this. :)

I've always considered myself a pretty simple gal. The simple things in life really do, make me the happiest. I know how cliche that sounds, but it couldn't be more true.

I've been thinking a lot about my life lately - where do I want to get married? Where do I want to raise children? Where do I want to grow old? Where do I want to sit on a porch with my husband & watch our grandchildren play in the front yard years down the road? Where, where, where.

I'll answer every single one of those questions for you. In Texas, in a small town. That's where. A simple life. I know the Lord is probably laughing at my plans right now because He knows what's best, but He could ALSO be smiling down on me thinking "she has finally figured it out." I guess I'll just have to have faith He will lead me WHERE I need to be.
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

Psalm 32:8 “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.”
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who knows when I'll actually end up moving. You see, when you live in a small town there isn't much opportunity work wise. Bummer. But for now, I'm going to pray & remember that He will always take care of me.

Here is what a simple life out in the country is to me..........

~ Waking up to the sunrise, & thanking God for another beautiful day, with the coffee brewing in the background, & listening to the local radio station while getting dressed for work & what - not.

~ Coming home from work to your loved ones, cooking a home-cooked meal, relaxing, watching the news, catching up on whatever needs to be done.

Grilling out 4th of July 2010

~ A garden. I've ALWAYS wanted one. "There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments." -- Janet Kilburn Phillips. Nothing says "simple" to me than tending to a garden. It really is like a baby - you have to nurture it, take care of it, & feed it for it to grow. A flower garden AND a vegetable garden. I've heard having one is extremely therapeutic. 


~ I want to say grace every night before dinner. At a dining room table.

~ I want to have friends that last a lifetime. I can already check this one off though! I am VERY blessed in that department. Our friends that were married on Saturday posted a message on my facebook wall that made me extremely happy & even tear up. God puts people in your life for a reason, & I am forever grateful. 

~ I want to have animals, & I want MY children to appreciate the beauty of nature. I want them to know what real hard work is.

Last summer bluebonnets. My fav!


~ I want to learn how to make home-made ice-cream. Ohhh yes.
~ I want to watch every sunrise & sunset, & I want to have Sunday dinner with family & friends - that I cook.

Yes, I took ALL these pics back home.


~ I want to learn HOW TO COOK. HA. I know I can cook, I just never try. Or - I never have TIME to learn or try. I want to have the time. My sweet honey cooks all the time. He is actually an amazing cook. Maybe he can teach me? hehe. 

~ I want to pass on recipes onto children & their children, etc. Hmm I guess this means I should LEARN some recipes first, eh? :)

My idea of a recipe, hehe :) - Dec 2010
~ I want my children to be raised "Old-fashioned" with good 'ol Southern values. I want them to put God first, & I want them to appreciate every little thing this life has to offer - especially the simple things. :)

My momma's apple pie

My precious Nannie & Don at my hometown church
I was raised in a small town, & moved to "the city" when I was 19. Where I live now - really isn't a city to some people, but 250,000 people to me is A LOT, compared to 6,000. I just couldn't WAIT to leave Alpine, but now I find myself counting the days til I get to go home again. ( 9 days ) Strange, right? I think I have decided though that small town living is what makes me the happiest. I do struggle with the thought, "Will I miss the conveniences of living in a city?" all the time. Once again, time will tell.

Those are just a FEW examples, there are so many more.

The strangest thing I think I've experienced so far though, is that time slows down DRASTICALLY in a small town. Here I'm always busy, always running around, trying to keep up in this rat race. Life really is so much sweeter back home. 



I think there are pros & cons to living in the city, and vice-versa with a small town. Everyone has their own opinions, & everyone has their own perspectives. It is true though - if you have never expereinced small town life, it's hard to understand, & I totally get that.  Some of my friends here that are from Dallas, Houston, & Austin don't quite understand how I grew up. 
I feel EXTREMELY lucky to have found someone that wants to live a simple life, with me. When we talk about our future, the word S I M P L E always comes up and I think we have both come to the conclusion that all we want for ourselves; for our future family is: God, love, family, happiness, and the beauty of a simple life. Easy enough, right? We will see. :) If you made it this far into the post, congratulations! :) HA!

4 sweet comments...:

~Katie said...

I've been quietly following for awhile, but just had to comment on this post. It seriously made me tear up, my fiance and I were just discussing this same exact thing this past weekend. We were visiting my parent's farm, just sitting outside enjoying the peacefulness, talking about how amazing it would be to build a house on their property and raising a family there. There is absolutely nothing like living/growing up in a small town. LOVE this post.

P.S. Sorry for the extremely longgg comment. Ha.

Lauren said...

I love this! Totally the way that I feel too! I love the convenience of the city life but isn't HOME fun! :)

Anonymous said...

Aw, I loved this post! I hope all your dreams come true! I think it's becoming rare that really young people desire to live in the country and have a simple life.

I especially love your first "want" about getting ready listening to the local radio station. I love doing that!

This is similar to what our life is like and what I want our life to be like (b/c I'm still working on some things!)

I miss living near family. I miss the Waco area (not necessarily Waco proper per se). I miss the familiarity of knowing everyone and knowing where everything is and never really getting lost.

Sometimes I think I want to live "in town" (the city) for the convenience, etc., but I know that I would yearn for the simple country life again.

Jamie said...

Such a sweet post :)

I grew up in a small town too and wouldn't trade it for the world! Even though I don't live there now, I still live in a semi small town which I love!

That's so great that you'll be moving back home :)